How many of you have had a male family member, friend or co-worker start growing a classic old school mustache during the month of November and not know why? Well, Pins.com is here to tell you. Every November men from around the world will begin to grow mustaches to raise awareness for prostate cancer and other male cancers.
Combining the words Mustache and November created the catchphrase “Movember” which has been the foundation to raise funds for male cancers. Here are some fun facts about mustaches and the Movember Foundation:
- Our Canadian neighbours to the north are the largest contributors to the Movember charities from all the nations.
- Slang words to call a mustache: Lip Foliage, Soup Strainer, Upper Lipholstery, Crumb catcher, Lip Sweater and Flavor Saver.
- Since it was formed in 2003, the Movember Foundation has raised over 30 million dollars worldwide
- The Guinness Book of World Records has a man whose moustache measured a whopping 133.4 inches long. Kalyan Ramji Sian of Sundargarth, India is the proud holder of this world record.
- Last year Movember signed up over 1.1 million people to participate worldwide. How many do you think they can get this year?
- There is a product out there call Mustache Wax? Yes… It is true! Just like hair gel or wax, it is used to keep your hairy upper lip stiff and in any desired style. How else do you think guys can get the stylish curls at the end of their mustache?
- The first year that Movember began 2003 they had 30 participants. In 2012 they had over 1.1 million.
- Only four United States President have sported a mustache.They are Chester A. Arthur, Grover Cleveland Theodore Roosevelt and William H. Taft. Since Taft in 1909, every United States President has had a smooth upper lip.
Tom Selleck may be the guy you think of when you hear the word mustache, however during the month of November there will be a lot of Tom Selleck wannabe’s trying to replicate the classic furry upper lip. Please make sure you get and and donate whatever you can when you see someone sporting a mustache (either good or bad).
Looking for a custom design awareness pin for your organization or event? Pins.com can assist you in creating custom design awareness pins and make sure it is exactly what you are looking for. Let our trained customer service staff provide you with ideas and help you make your awareness pins the best.